Masaba Falls Mini Exploration

Masaba Falls Mini Exploration (Not!)

Brgy. Masaba, Palompon Leyte
Philippines

Backtrack

For over 7 years, I wasn’t able to step foot on that place. Last time around 2005, we were only three inexperienced drunk frustrated explorers. We just planned the night before while drinking in our hometown. We haven’t seen each other for quite some time so we decided to challenge ourselves and see what Masaba Falls has to offer.






We started at around 9 in the morning, reached the small village of Lomonon and from there we river trekked for several hours thinking that the Waterfalls was just around the corner.  We brought with us a film camera which would document our trip but later on, I lost the film. For almost 4 hours there were no waterfalls in sight just the downstream river and us. Then the afternoon came. We have found our way to the village of Masaba but it was a little too late. The village people guided us to the falls and there she is! Masaba falls. We didn’t bother to explore the 7 falls that time since we are out of time it was 4pm and it’s getting dark very fast. I just hoped that I could visit the place next time.

The Comeback

2012 and no It’s not yet the end of the world. I decided to visit the place again. I know how to get there but somehow forgotten the route. The locals will be able to help. I planned to go solo this time but my high school classmate decided to tag along.










Met at the town terminal and hired a motorcycle to get to the jump off. Then the trekking begins. I wasn’t able to bring with me my trekking shoes or my Tribu Slippers. I only have my Quiksilver beach slippers which are not really for rugged purposes.

I really had a hard time climbing the mountain because the slippers were very slippery due to the mud and water.  Just a day before, Leyte was hit by a Signal No. 2 typhoon and the mud still hasn't dried. So, I decided to walk barefoot and I managed to walk a little bit faster and later on, I stepped on a damn thorn and hurts like hell.


For about more than an hour, we reached this little civilization and It was a relief that we were not lost. About a little further, we reached a waiting shed, Had a little snacks and a rest for a while before heading to Masaba town.  Jonas brought ice with him in his non-ice-melting tumbler.



We visited the town for a bit and met these kids. They have guided us to the falls. They may not have classes or what. I didn’t know their names but they are willing to guide us to the falls. They even brought us towards the 7th falls which was the highest of them all but kind of far and some technical climbing. Ropes are not really needed.  For seven years, I finally reached the 7th falls. Although there were no possible campsites within the area, I found one close to the river and quite a beautiful view. Someday, I’ll be back with my tent have an overnight camping there.



After we jumped the highest part of the cliff down to the pool, had a little lunch, and shared some to the kids and we decided to go home.










Witch Hunter

We decided to take a rest in the waiting shed thinking that there might be some motorcycles for hire dropping by.  Then we saw the familiar guy that we have met earlier with some coconuts, he offered some to us with no costs whatsoever.  His place had the best view of the ocean and the surrounding mountains. Then his father came, a 50-ish man, and talked about his past. I don’t know if he was some communist rebel or a faith healer or some treasure hunter. He knows almost everything. He even told us that he was battling these dark shadows in his old home a mile from where he is. Hey man, I don’t know what to believe anymore. Maybe he has seen the dark forces of whatchamacallit. He is a bisaya version of the Vampire Hunter and killed monsters unknown to mankind.  Well, he had us entertained for more than two hours. I don’t know why he has chosen Leyte to settle down, he is even not from here, and he was born in Cebu and has been to all parts of the Philippines.  Since it was really getting late, we bid farewell and thanked for the coconuts. He gave Jonas his virgin coconut oil which he made with a sign of a cross. Interesting guy I wish I we could meet again next time.
















So we went down the same path we took in going up. The same slippery, wet, and muddy trail…

Then, we reached the main road and hailed a motorcycle and home we go.





Images taken using GoPro Hero2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paraiso: a hidden paradise in Palompon, Leyte

Ferry Schedule Leyte to Surigao

Ferry Schedule from Bogo, Cebu to Palompon Leyte