My Mini Aquaponics System Setup

Since I have nothing to do and no other places to go other than staying at home doing nothing, I decided to create a mini aquaponics system at the back of our rented apartment but there is a catch, it should be cheap and wont exceed to P1000 which I got from my birthday.



my mini aquaponics setup


I found some stuff that I will be able to use lying around so basically, they are free. I bought a water pump from my friend for a very cheap price.

Some materials I got to make my Mini Aquaponics System:

  • 5ft. PVC Pipe lying around (it was broken since typhoon Haiyan). - Free
  • 10 Gallons Styrofoam Container - P210.00
  • Drill Bit for the doorknob - P60.00
  • Ropes & Zipties - P60.00
  • Gravel - Stolen (shhhh)
  • Fishes (Molly - Lucky one gave birth to 16 fries) - P120.00
  • Aquarium Water Pump (A friend sold me this one for cheap)- P200
  • Recycled disposable glass from a "Taho" vendor.
  • Seeds (free) - I got some from my previous window farm.

Procedures & Stuff I did in making the Mini Aquaponics System:

  1. Cut the PVC Pipe into two (2).
  2. Cover both ends of the PVC Pipes. Let it set.
  3. Drill large holes in the PVC (7 holes each). The holes are perfect size for the plastic cups.
  4. Hang the PVC Pipes in a wall or something. Connect them with a hose. Make sure one is above the other.
  5. Fill the 10 Gallon container with water (make sure there is no chlorine in it).
  6. Install the Water Pump
  7. Connect the Pump to the PVC Pipe.
  8. Fire up the water pump and let it run first to filter the water etc. before adding the fishes.
  9. Add the fishes.
  10. Clean the gravel and place them on the paper cup. But before that make sure you have germinated some seeds. (I planted tomatoes, chili, lettuce, etc...)
  11. Feed the fishes...
Why did I choose to raise Molly? I don't know, I am planning to raise tilapia but I only have a small container, and Molly fishes are easy to raise and will breed fast. Maybe I could sell some for cheap? lol... Anyways, I am also trying to grow some pond plants and had a little success... might sell them too for those aquascapist.. lol... 

Future Updates:

I am making a grow bed with a recycled bell syphon. Hopefully I could show this but it is still under construction and I still have to steal some gravel from somewhere.. lol... 

Well, here is some youtube video featuring my mini aquaponics system.



See some Molly Fries:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paraiso: a hidden paradise in Palompon, Leyte

Ferry Schedule Leyte to Surigao

Ferry Schedule from Bogo, Cebu to Palompon Leyte