Dirt Time and Gear Test

Last February 7, 2015, I've got a chance to do some dirt time and gear test at my grandparents place away from town. Took my mountain bike, a few stuff to eat, Rover Camel solo woodstove, my Toaks 550ml Titanium Cookset, my designed bushcraft knife, and the Silangan Outdoor Equipment Santi 13 tent with me. It only took me around 30 minutes to get there through my Cannondale Trail 6 mountain bike.


The Best Buddy

The plan is to do an overnight camp at my mothers lot but have to stop over at my grandparent's house to gather some supply. I was planning to catch some tilapia fish from the pond which would be my dinner for the night. However, the weather wasn't cooperating with me. Thinking that the ground will be very wet, muddy and its getting dark fast, so I decided to just camp at the backyard near my grandparent's place. My uncle and I gathered some firewood for the campfire and cooked our dinner and decided to eat under the moonlight and the stars.

Silangan Santi Tent Pitched

Gear Test: Tent, Knife, Stove and Cookset


But first, I have to do a gear test. I started to pitch my Silangan Outdoor Equipment Santi 13 single pole tent which is easy to pitch. I do find some flaws though but its just minimal. Took my stuff and chuck it inside the tent. The second gear was my "bushcraft knife" that I designed long ago. Yep it's her first time to be used hardcore. I tried to chop wood, cut a bamboo pole for the tent and cut several stuff. No problem so far. Just plain sharp, good bite, and badass.

"Murag Mora" Bushcraft knife, CRKT RSK MK5 Neck Knife & Leatherman Micra


That night, after we had dinner, my uncle, aunt and cousin went inside the house. I was left alone in the campsite with the campfire as my companion. I created a freshwater shrimp trap from a discarded softdrink bottle and baited it with leftover food. I left it near the creek overnight.

Then I decided to call it a night. Crawled inside the tent which is a good fit. Lots of headroom and the vestibule has lots of space. But one thing I wasn't comfortable was the heat, the tent is too hot for a tropical climate. The temperature outside was cool just like any other cold January nights. Maybe they should use pure mesh just like the Marmot EOS 1P rather than the thick no-see-um mesh. With an insulating pad as my bed and a Malong as my blanket, I am ready to sleep. Later on, I removed the blanket and my shirt. lol..

Santi 13 Tent: The inside

Bread and the Kalinga Coffee

Day 2: More Testing and Cooking

I woke up early the next day and tried to revive my campfire as it was burning the whole night. Took my Rover Camel Solo Woodstove and My Toaks 550ml Titanium Cup and tried to boil some water for the Kalinga Coffee.


Toaks 550ml Titanium Cup & Camel Rover Woodstove

Before my Uncle & Aunt left for church, they gave me some noodles and bread which completed my breakfast. lol.. But I caught a tilapia fish from the pond and began grilling it on the campfire. I also brought with me a cup of rice and also cooked it on the campfire. I checked the trap that I set the other night and I only caught one freshwater shrimp "uwang". Maybe I'll set more traps next time. I mixed the freshwater shrimp with the noodles I cooked. Then enjoy the breakfast near the campfire.

Kalinga Coffee and Noodles


Once they got back from the church, we had another breakfast. Later on my grandmother visited the place. We had a "boodle fight" lunch in which we grilled some horned shell or the saang and a few oysters. They also bought a kilo of Roasted Pork or "lechon" which made my stomach satisfied and unable to move. lol... Anyways, I tried to re-explore the caves and the places that we used to play when we were kids. Most of them were already overgrown with large grass so I decided to let them be... for now..
Recycled Shrimp Trap
Freshwater Shrimp I Caught

Now its time for me to go back to reality. I packed all my stuff and took my bike. Bid farewell and off I go to another route in which I wasn't able to pass in a very long time. Well, it brings back childhood memories and I am satisfied with my quick gear test and some quality dirt time. Maybe next time I will be camping at my mothers lot as I still have to plant lots of fruit bearing trees for my future self's sake. lol..


That Freshwater Shrimp!



And we ate our breakfast and lunch here
Ready to head back


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paraiso: a hidden paradise in Palompon, Leyte

Ferry Schedule Leyte to Surigao

Ferry Schedule from Bogo, Cebu to Palompon Leyte