Calicoan Surfing Again!

I was able to visit Calicoan Island, Eastern Samar last September 11-13, 2015. It has been a long time since I last went there. That was before the devastating Category 5 Super Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda). Now everything has changed. I think even the reef! It was smooth this time so, no more sharp rocks on the way to the lineup!


Waves of Calicoan



Let's SURF!


Well yeah, I am back! and I may have forgotten how to surf. I didn't even know how to surf? lol

My friend RJ was already there since wednesday and waves are much bigger but quite hard to surf since it closes out right away. Waves are about 1-2 meters high and such power it makes.

Anyways, I arrived there very late but did not miss the sunset. There were few guests in the huts near the beach but we did not stay there. We stayed at Myoho's Hut which is great! Had a quick dinner and slept very early because I will be surfing in the morning.. Nope, I had a very long tiring day! And just more than 15 hours of travel through a boat from Cebu, a van to Tacloban, a crowded bus to Guiuan, and a small passenger vehicle to Sulangan that you rub your knees with the guy in front of you. Talk about claustrophobic!

Huts near the beach

Myoho's (kayak did not survive Yolanda)


The next morning, since the waves are not really good, we decided to go to Sulangan and bought some fish for lunch. Got 2 fishes! Grilled the big one and made "kinilaw / ceviche" for the other one and a quick sleep to digest them fishes.

Sulangan's Bell Tower


Rod's Place

Lets Eat! (sorry no grilled fish pics lol.. got busy eating it)


I did not bring any boards so I decided to rent a board from the other huts but Rod told me that they have free surfboard rentals because of the "Balik-bayud". Thanks!

I only surfed for around 2 hours since the tide is getting low. I think I may still have it... lol.. Got few waves and more wipeouts. lol.. Got stoked... Got tired... Maybe I should exercise or practice more or something...

Stand Tall

Beautiful Sunset in Calicoan Island

Another Beautiful Sunset!

Since Andok's Restaurant was washed away by Yolanda, had our dinner at Calicoan Villa Resort with their customer friendly crew but the price isn't. And it took a very long time to cook chorizo. Met an Austrian guy with his Filipina girlfriend there. He has been visiting Calicoan for around 12 years now! Wow.

Calicoan Villa's Resort!

Choose your water!


Sunday! The waves are still huge but closes out just when you had fun. I only surfed within the white water area because of the damn sore muscle (yeah, I should exercise... lol). I visited the wiped out Surf Camp near Myoho's. The place was never rebuilt after being washed by Super Typhoon Yolanda. RJ's board broke.

Last Day!

Dusk in the island


Then, there's this going home. I know it's hard to leave this place... Well actually, not. I don't have any money to stay longer! lol... And I hope to be back!

Surf Hut in Calicoan... Inquire there if you want to stay...

Stuff to learn or not!
  • Never ride a passenger bus from Tacloban to Guiuan
    • With just P10.00 difference from the Van, I recommend getting the van since the bus takes forever to move and takes up too much passenger. You will be an hour late.
  • Only Globe has the best signal there. The rest are crap!
    • Yep thats right Smart and Sun Cellular!
  • To get 3G signal for your modern technology phones, go to Sulangan Bridge
  • Surfboards are Free (Only at Myoho's though)
    • I think he only lend it to some close friends and guys who rent at their hut. (I dont know.. ask them ;))

Check out them waves!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paraiso: a hidden paradise in Palompon, Leyte

Ferry Schedule Leyte to Surigao

Ferry Schedule from Bogo, Cebu to Palompon Leyte